Aug 8, 2009
Human hair removed from the heads of murdered women prisoners. When the Red Army liberated the camp, 7000 kilos were found awaiting shipment to the Third Reich.
The hair had been sent back to Germany, then converted into hair cloth.
SS duty officer’s room in the death block.
This room also served as a court room for the
Summary Police Court in Block no 11.
Wall of execution; here about 20.000 prisoners were executed – mainly Polish political prisoners. The Extra Ordinary Court came from Krakow and during a session of 2-3 hours, imposed sentences upon a handful to several hundred prisoners. The court’s judgement in most cases: summary execution.
The Execution Wall stands between blocks nos. 10 & 11. Block no. 10 to the left and Block no. 11 to the right, stand out from the rest because of the incredible cruelty that went on behind these brick walls.
This multiple gallows is also located on the Roll-Call Square. Before prisoners were placed in the gallows, they had their arms twisted behind their backs, and then, by their arms, were placed in the gallows as a public warning to anyone trying to escape the Camp. The penal roll call was used as collective punishment for a violation by any one prisoner.
Booth belonging to the Rapport Führer. On the Roll-Call Square in front of this booth, public executions were held, at times accompanied by orchestral music.
The Roll Call Square seen from a distance. During these rollcalls, the entire camp stood silently as the SS called out each prisoner’s name, seeing that all the prisoners were accounted for.
One of the main fences.
6000 volts ran through the wires of this fence.
One of many warning posts
found alongside the barbed wire fencing.
Insulators and barbed wire on a post.
Crematorium, mortuary used as a gas chamber.
It was originally used as storage room for ammunition.
September 3, 1941 experimental gassing on
Soviet prisoners using Zuclon-B.
Two out of the three chambers in the crematorium at Auschwitz I. When in operation, the crematorium had a capacity for incinerating 350 bodies per day. In each chamber 2-3 bodies were placed. In 1941 and 1942 Soviet prisoners of war and Jews from the ghettos established by the Nazis in Schlesien were murdered in this crematorium.
The crematorium was in use from 1940 – 1943. The ashes were used as fertilizer or as filling in nearby creeks and ponds. The last gassings took place in November 1944. Just prior to the liberation of the camp the SS dismantled and blew up the crematoriums. The ruins can be seen today.